Remove guard tasks - reason inside

Talk about your RvR experience here
Finalement
Eagle Knight

Postby Finalement » Apr 30, 2012 19:12

Chrissi wrote:It's just pathetic. You guys are talking about RvR but actually we only have Grp vs Grp / Guild vs Guild.

Nothing else to say thought which such kind of population.

And I really worry about - is DAoC just that death? Is Uthgard the problem? The knowledge of freeshards? Which really shouldnt be.

Anyway. After playin GW2 last weekend I realized that Uthgard's problem isn't caused by adders, 8vs8 or anything (Guard Tasks), it's just the lack of players.

And tbh - those guard quests create a bit of "hot spot" for solo players - camping keeps and so.

Try to see the facts when we had Agramon our 8vs8 grps had (for sure) a problem because of the missing room for their 8vs8 and fair fights, now its a room problem (3 Zones are just too large for our amount of players) and the lack of players.

But anyhow we are waiting since (now 2?) years for RvR improvements - and I give a !!! about this "no instant" and custom and so on arguments.

People log in to have fun, if you don't find someone to fight, or even to kill, you just logout.

So much text, I'm turning into Rone sorry :grin:

Enjoy guard tasks!!! Which is probably the only way to have fun and earn Rps on Uthgard.

Kind regards,
Chrissi

Nuff said

RonELuvv
Alerion Knight

Postby RonELuvv » Apr 30, 2012 20:43

I've said it before and I will say it again....

The gaurd tasks are not the problem. The problem is people doing what Ronia showed this particular individual doing, making a High RR player with doing the absolute minimal amt of actual PvP. I still say that gaurd tasks are a great thing for this server that allow for people fresh out of Thid to still get some RP's while they are still low RR as well as provide some supplementary RP's for those that play in more slow times.

In saying all that, it should be scaled dependant on RR. As an example:

RR1-4L9- 1250 rp's per solo task
RR5L0-5L9- 1000 rp's per solo task
RR6L0-6L9- 750 rp's per solo task
RR7L0-7L9- 500 rp's per solo task
RR8L0-13L0- 250 rp's per solo task

By doing this people can still use the task's as a way to gain RR's while their toons are lower RR, but as they gain in RR's the reward is reduced and hopefully pushes them to go into more traditional PvP.

It also still allow's for the higher RR players to still do an occasional task otw to RvR to increase the overall rp's on slow nights. For example, if Albs own Crim and I'm heading out to AMG on my ranger I can swing by and get an extra 250 rp's omw into Emain. Its not much, but if I do that 3 or 4 times it will add up to maybe make up for the lack of players.

I also agree with Holsten that group gaurd tasks should be revamped to be keep take tasks. Increase the reward to say 2000 rp's for taking a keep and maybe add a bonus on that for the lvl of keep.

Lvl 1-6 keep: 2000 rp's
lvl 7- 2200 rp's
lvl 8- 2400 rp's
lvl 9- 2600 rp's
lvl 10- 3000 rp's

By doing this people can still get good rp's while grouped and it would benefit your realm better overall by opening up DF. It would also prevent the people (myself included) from grouping up, opening up 4 keeps, and tasking back to back to back and getting 10-20k rp's in a few hours.
Zacknafein Do'Urden- lvl 50 Ranger- 10L1
Jarlaxle Baerne- lvl 50 Blademaster- 5L8
Marshal Mathers- lvl 50 Bard- 3L8
Neighborhoodfriendl AlchemistbotSuperwarden- lvl 36 Warden- 2L2
Barrabus TheGray- lvl 6 Nightshade- 1L0

Zacknamid SorryaboutkillinguonHib- lvl 50 Hunter- 8L1
Cadderrly Bonaduce- lvl 50 Friar- 4L2

Hendak
Warder

Postby Hendak » Apr 30, 2012 23:15

Reason Inside = singling out one guy ?

Breaking News for the leeters or the ignorant...

RvR is fairly dead after 7pm EST for North American players, most notably on weekdays. Whatever visible RvR to be had is sporadic and on some nights you can roam Emain for 45minutes and see either nothing or a few solos / duo's. Fun eh? The past 1-2 months have seen a dramatic dropoff in any active RvR in Emain that doesn't involve lame camping (aka. sneaks who circle jerk at AMG)

DAOC and just about 99% of games out there are about character advancement, otherwise we would not play very long or at all. Tasking = advancing your character when realm enemies are nowhere to be found.

So if there is little to zero RvR for NA players when they get home from work/school, tasking can be one of the main ways to hang out and gain rps. Otherwise its just no fun to run around with zero or minimal action. Ironically, some of the best action is when you DO get incoming tasking as me and my guild have seen quite a bit of especially from INC Mids watching the Herald Maps.

If you don't like tasking, don't bother with it. But crying foul or spewing out crap like having tasks removed or having crazy restrictions on them is laughable and kinda sad. Worry about how you play your own toon and less about imposing your will on others.

- Gilded - Dark Auspicies

PS - Sturlek to stop bringing out 3 Seers with you to defend kthx :P

Banedor
Warder

Postby Banedor » Apr 30, 2012 23:49

I seriously can't believe you're crying about this.

Of all the issues/bugs that are present and hiccups that already make some RvR fighting annoying at times with class differences you want to QQ about tasks.

If anything you should be happy about this as it's an obvious "LOOK AT ME I'M HERE COME KILL ME" spam for the slow nights if your alliance reports someone is tasking at the keep you can go hunt down.

We're sorry we don't all go to AMG and proceed to be raped by the stealth groups all the time or zerged to death.

Equade
Gryphon Knight

Postby Equade » Apr 30, 2012 23:53

Guard tasks are a good way to catch up on some studying while playing :-) And if you're lucky (which is quite frequently) you find a fun, alternate fight. Only downside is tabbing back in to daoc and find yourself afk dead, but that's on yourself (tends to happen to me a lot).

I never did guard task a lot on ranger, but I sure did it (and will continue to do so) on shadowblade. Sometimes emain is just too mos5 pew pew crowded and you feel like taking a breather and wacking on someone in a more quiet place. Maybe go hit a milegate after the keep just to camp somebody down :) Oh, and it's about the only times i ever get to utilize climb walls.

I think it works like it is.

RonELuvv
Alerion Knight

Postby RonELuvv » Apr 30, 2012 23:56

First off, not EVERYONE here is crying and saying this should be nerf'd. All that being said, there is a valid reason for concern when you have a player that is 6L0 and has killed a total of 71 people. I killed that many people in Braemar!!! The point of tasks was never so people could achieve high RR's w/out doing any actual PvP. It was to help, as Hendak posted, people fresh out of Thid to gain some RR's as they get their toons to a point where they can go out and compete.

I fall in the middle of the fence on this one. I dont think they should be removed per se, but I do think something needs to be done when you have people ONLY doing tasks for rp's.

For the people that say not to hold the entire server up for what one player did, the same thing happened w/ the envenom skill. Not many people abused the flaw that allowed non assasins to be able to wield weapons that an assasin poisoned for them. All it took was one player, Baman, to abuse it enough to show the GM's that it was being abused beyond it's original intention. It was then changed. All it takes is 1 bad apple....

Hendak
Warder

Postby Hendak » May 01, 2012 00:46

Apples and Oranges though Ron. Linking tasking to high RR (which affects no one) and abusing envenomed weapons (which affects anyone and everyone) is a bit of a stretch.

Tasking is not overpowered. Gaining rps fairly is not overpowered.

Venom applied to weapons for use on a non-envenom class is, and was, GROSSLY overpowered. Only an idiot, or someone who wants to win at all costs fair-play be damned, would disagree.

Tasking is just an alternative to RvR; both can provide rps on the players terms.

There is heated debate re: tasking simply because people who choose to task, or have no issue with it, don't like to be told how to play or how "best" to advance their characters.

ZaiQQ
Eagle Knight

Postby ZaiQQ » May 01, 2012 01:44

Hendak wrote:Apples and Oranges though Ron. Linking tasking to high RR (which affects no one) and abusing envenomed weapons (which affects anyone and everyone) is a bit of a stretch.

Venom applied to weapons for use on a non-envenom class is, and was, GROSSLY overpowered. Only an idiot, or someone who wants to win at all costs fair-play be damned, would disagree.

Tasking is just an alternative to RvR; both can provide rps on the players terms.

There is heated debate re: tasking simply because people who choose to task, or have no issue with it, don't like to be told how to play or how "best" to advance their characters.

Yet the taskers are the people frequently using the im lower realmrank and cannot win argument.

Nef Melody
Phoenix Knight

Postby Nef Melody » May 01, 2012 02:28

ZaiQQ wrote:Yet the taskers are the people frequently using the im lower realmrank and cannot win argument.

because they suck.
I've soloed my mincer from 4 to 7lx and never did lots of guardtasks.
Nefcait : Bard
Gua : Enchanter
My Youtube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/user/ReqVids/videos

Hendak
Warder

Postby Hendak » May 01, 2012 04:36

ZaiQQ wrote:
Hendak wrote:Apples and Oranges though Ron. Linking tasking to high RR (which affects no one) and abusing envenomed weapons (which affects anyone and everyone) is a bit of a stretch.

Yet the taskers are the people frequently using the im lower realmrank and cannot win argument.

Glad you stayed on topic and didn't toss out some lame blanket statement.

Phileas
Gryphon Knight

Postby Phileas » May 01, 2012 09:25

Nef Melody wrote:
ZaiQQ wrote:Yet the taskers are the people frequently using the im lower realmrank and cannot win argument.

because they suck.
I've soloed my mincer from 4 to 7lx and never did lots of guardtasks.

Even if they do, what's the problem?

Unlike adders like me, they don't even interfere with your playstyle. What does it matter to you? Are you afraid your precious RPs are worth less just because someone didn't have to take part in mind-numbing runs from atk to amg to mmg to amg to breifine to amg to mmg to amg ... to get some RR and maybe enjoy PvM some more?

There are people like that.

Respect their way of playing like you always demand of others.

RonELuvv
Alerion Knight

Postby RonELuvv » May 01, 2012 15:47

It's not comparing apples and oranges with the change to envenom and tasking. Well, you might be right. On live 1.69 you COULD actually have a nightshade poison your weapons for you and on 1.69 gaurd tasks DIDNT exist on live. So in that sense they are different. My point was that some people take a feature (envonem or tasking or farming bugged loot) and they abuse it way past the point of what it was ment for. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure when they implemented tasking it wasnt with the idea people could get to 9L+ with minimal amounts of actual PvP.

Also, I'm not saying they should remove them. I just think they need to scale them based on RR. A 4L8 player doing task after task to get to a better RR doesnt bother me. A 8L6 NS tasking all night when there is action to be had does. Do you not see a difference? If you say you dont it is probably because you never do actual PvP action beyond BG's. If you did you would understand that alot of the population problems are caused by people avoiding PvP and doing PvE to gain realm points. Something that was never allowed in classic DAoC.

Chrissi
Phoenix Knight

Postby Chrissi » May 01, 2012 17:05

You just failed with your last sentance Rone.

Galandriel2
Phoenix Knight

Postby Galandriel2 » May 01, 2012 18:07

its true, there havent been tasks like that
[12:46] <Roundhouse_> actualy galandriel and blackbeard the master challenges out on heavytanks
[23:52] <Skarz> u are best skald i seen for long time

Panchos
Myrmidon

Postby Panchos » May 01, 2012 18:59

I completely agree with removing guard tasks, but instead of leaving casual players completely out to dry, they should be replaced with KEEP tasks. Keep tasks will promote more grouping because keeps are harder and more time consuming to take compared to just killing 20 guards.

Also, there should be better notifications that keeps are being invaded. These notifications can be similar to relic broadcasts, or they can be shown in a realm war map like daoc currently has. Too many times, keeps are being taken but no one knows because it is owned by some guild with nobody on. Better notifications and more incentives for taking keeps would drastically promote keep taking and defending, and in my opinion bring more difficulty and danger involved in taking keeps. More difficulty in taking the keeps would also provide more gravity and importance in actually taking a keep.

Replace guard tasks with keep tasks and give better notifications also seems to fit more in line with the realm vs. realm concept than simplyl killing guards. These changes would promote casual RVR by making realm invasion and defense more about helping your realm than simply getting DF so you can level your level 30something character.

Is there any GM that can respond to this idea?
<Vanquish>
Panche - 7LX Druid
Soxxs - 7LX BM

PreviousNext

Return to Realm versus Realm