Remove guard tasks - reason inside

Talk about your RvR experience here
Aiuta
Myrmidon

Postby Aiuta » Apr 29, 2012 19:22

Remove RP from guard task... there is ppl which guard task to rr 11l... like Ombraccia... Friponlereturn... just to say some names...

crepuscular
Warder

Postby crepuscular » Apr 29, 2012 19:55

Ciriola wrote:I don't see any problem in guard tasking. It's just a choise. Maybe someone that haven't time for a proper RvR may choose to do tasks while doing other things IRL.
Let people have fun in the way the like to, please ;)

so you're saying that minstrel doesnt have enough time to rvr but has enough time to get 100k+ lwrp in guard tasking? however i do agree it should just be left alone, its only 1 individual and why should we bother? let that player do what they want. you might even be lucky to find him when he is tasking :)

Sohy
Myrmidon

Postby Sohy » Apr 29, 2012 20:57

14,2k/kill, fair 1vs1 guy it seems!

Ciriola
Myrmidon

Postby Ciriola » Apr 29, 2012 23:15

crepuscular wrote:
so you're saying that minstrel doesnt have enough time to rvr but has enough time to get 100k+ lwrp in guard tasking? however i do agree it should just be left alone, its only 1 individual and why should we bother? let that player do what they want. you might even be lucky to find him when he is tasking :)

Well, I supposed that this topic would concern the whole phenomenon, so i was talking in general.
And about "time", there's a lot of difference if a person may play 20hrs a week just 20 mins in 20 mins and one that can play 20hrs with a 8hrs straight at once.... you can understand this.

By the way mine was just the idea of letting people do what they want if this don't bother you.
  • Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate...
  • The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head.
  • The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
Terry Pratchett

Sturlek
Myrmidon

Postby Sturlek » Apr 30, 2012 00:36

ZaiQQ wrote:
Aragorn wrote:why not? let them if they want to earn some RR before doing real rvr ... guess noone wants a low rr minstrel in grp

If he is good he would be wanted. And clearly he doesn't want to rvr, he just wants realmrank. RPs should always come from killing other players, not from other npcs farming stuff.

What terrible logic. Why do you think wanting high rr and wanting to rvr are mutually exclusive? Some classes need higher rr than others to be effective in RvR, regardless of how skilled or unskilled the player is. If you are approaching the issue as if every rr4 class is equally viable in RvR, you have a very naive point of view on it.

And realm points come from realm vs. realm, not player vs. player. You make it sound like you want realm rank to be perfectly reflective of the players' skill, but that is impossible as long as different classes with different abilities and different equipment exist. This concept only works in games like Quake and Halo, where every player starts with an identical character. Making RP's come solely from PvP clearly favors players that log on during prime EU hours, so how do you plan to address this bias? And please explain to me how running circles in Emain benefits your realm any more than killing NPC guards?

ZaiQQ
Eagle Knight

Postby ZaiQQ » Apr 30, 2012 01:50

Sturlek wrote:
ZaiQQ wrote:
Aragorn wrote:why not? let them if they want to earn some RR before doing real rvr ... guess noone wants a low rr minstrel in grp

If he is good he would be wanted. And clearly he doesn't want to rvr, he just wants realmrank. RPs should always come from killing other players, not from other npcs farming stuff.

What terrible logic. Why do you think wanting high rr and wanting to rvr are mutually exclusive? Some classes need higher rr than others to be effective in RvR, regardless of how skilled or unskilled the player is. If you are approaching the issue as if every rr4 class is equally viable in RvR, you have a very naive point of view on it.

And realm points come from realm vs. realm, not player vs. player. You make it sound like you want realm rank to be perfectly reflective of the players' skill, but that is impossible as long as different classes with different abilities and different equipment exist. This concept only works in games like Quake and Halo, where every player starts with an identical character. Making RP's come solely from PvP clearly favors players that log on during prime EU hours, so how do you plan to address this bias? And please explain to me how running circles in Emain benefits your realm any more than killing NPC guards?

With a minstrel you can win vs anything 1v1. And you may notice, in 71 kills he honestly didnt even give it a shot TRYING to rvr. Realmrank is just a number, hence why I find it ridiculus that you would need to guardtask to rr8 to be competetive, I've ran alot of low RR characters in all different type of settings, but if you never try you will never learn, starting off from high RR with all the toys, doesn't help you in any way get better, it just makes you dependant on it. Kill guards all you want, but rps shouldnt be given out like candy for killing guards. Killing a keep lord for taking a keep, actually has a point, takes time, has an impact on the realm. Killing guards does not. So you are pretty biased yourself. And if the US people would stop guardtasking only, you could actually have a quite nice US population doing rvr also. But when people don't wanna try and just give up instantly, blame it on realmrank, saying i need this realmrank to win, clearly doesnt know how the game functions. RR gives advantages, but just because a player got it, doesnt mean he will use it to its full advantage.

Nef Melody
Phoenix Knight

Postby Nef Melody » Apr 30, 2012 01:59

farming guardtaskers is so much fun :D
Nefcait : Bard
Gua : Enchanter
My Youtube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/user/ReqVids/videos

Sturlek
Myrmidon

Postby Sturlek » Apr 30, 2012 04:09

ZaiQQ wrote: .

>>"With a minstrel you can win vs anything 1v1."

Not only is this blatantly false (solo minstrels fall in 1v1's all the time, even the good ones), but now you're also limiting the discussion to solo minstrels, which are clearly not the only classes to solo task. Players using nearly every class under the sun (with the possible exception of healer-types) do solo and group guard tasks, and there are many good reasons why. And let's not forget that guard tasks frequently lead to 1v1 and small fights at contested keeps. You are also deliberately ignoring the fact that some classes, like minstrels, are designed to be efficient guard taskers, and taking away the incentive to guard task would be like taking away a spell or combat style from any other class's spec line.

>>"And you may notice, in 71 kills he honestly didnt even give it a shot TRYING to rvr."

Again, we are not just talking about this one minstrel. You are proposing a change that would affect many players, so you need to defend how its effect on all of them is justified.

>>"Realmrank is just a number, hence why I find it ridiculus that you would need to guardtask to rr8 to be competetive..."

Yeah the rank is just nominal, but the abilities you gain from it are not. And whether you are running solo or 8v8; if you do not have the same access to abilities that the players you are fighting have, you are already at a disadvantage. Yes realm abilities are not the only thing that matter in a fight, but the gap created by realm ranks is typically far more significant than the gap created by skill. In other words, there are not many RR10 players running around that have no idea what they are doing. And your slightly better timing or reflexes are not going to matter when your purge is on cooldown from a 15 minute timer and theirs is up because it's on 5.

>>Kill guards all you want, but rps shouldnt be given out like candy for killing guards. Killing a keep lord for taking a keep, actually has a point, takes time, has an impact on the realm. Killing guards does not."

I'm sorry, I thought we were comparing killing NPC guards to killing other players in Emain, not to killing keep lords. Both of the first two activities are equally useless as far as realm benefits go, so I can see why you would want to change the comparison to make killing guards look worse. So again, why should RPs be handed out for pointlessly killing players in emain and not for pointlessly killing NPCs in keeps?

>>"And if the US people would stop guardtasking only, you could actually have a quite nice US population doing rvr also."

There are only 50-100 people logged into each realm on a typical North American evening, and only a small fraction of those are level 45+. Some nights we get lucky and there are enough players of the right classes on multiple realms and groups can be formed, but on many nights it's simply not possible. You would have us believe that if the few people that are even online guard tasking were to stop, then the numbers and classes we need to start up a group would suddenly appear out of nowhere? Here's a spoiler: midgard seers aren't hard to find during US primetime because they are out guard tasking.

>>"RR gives advantages, but just because a player got it, doesnt mean he will use it to its full advantage."

Ah so I should wait for that RR10 to forget to use his purge3/IP2 in order to have a chance at winning , since that will be the only way for my at most marginally better skill to overcome his greater arsenal of abilities :roll:

shade
Eagle Knight

Postby shade » Apr 30, 2012 09:30

Sturlek wrote:Yes realm abilities are not the only thing that matter in a fight, but the gap created by realm ranks is typically far more significant than the gap created by skill.

This is only true for some RA-dump classes.

Sturlek wrote:In other words, there are not many RR10 players running around that have no idea what they are doing.

Surely you have no clue :D :D :D This one is so wrong. :)
“DAOC is not about what you can log. It's about what you can play :> ”

Uthgard 1.0: <Die Lettanten> Ivia - 8L8 Nightshade - Lone Enforcer since 8L1.
Uthgard 2.0: <Illuminated Stormriders> Oxy - Hero; Ivia - Nightshade.

holsten-knight
Lion Knight

Postby holsten-knight » Apr 30, 2012 11:04

delete guardtasks and implement keepraid tasks (without the 3 double outer door keeps). This would bring much more small grp action.

Cadam
Gryphon Knight

Postby Cadam » Apr 30, 2012 12:20

i dont even know why there are rvr tasks on uthgard, rvr tasks are NF stuff and does not fit into the classic setting which is wanted here so bad ....

Chrissi
Phoenix Knight

Postby Chrissi » Apr 30, 2012 12:43

Add another 1000ppl to Uthgard and we can talk about RvR on Uthgard.

Gorim
Eagle Knight

Postby Gorim » Apr 30, 2012 12:54

Chrissi wrote:Add another 1000ppl to Uthgard and we can talk about RvR on Uthgard.

+1

Buckaroo banzai
Myrmidon

Postby Buckaroo banzai » Apr 30, 2012 13:05

700 logs :

-250 on hib, 2fg on 50's pvp.
-250 albs, 1fg pvp.
-200 mids, 6fg pvp.

On this server, pvp is simple ^^

So any rules, even not 1.69 compatible, is good to improve pvp population !
VINTERSORG on Mid = Durack/Morbac/Krakar/Thjork/Fripouille/Verole/Lumna
NoStressFr on Alb = Uclain/Tarras
unguilded on Hib = Lyantel

Chrissi
Phoenix Knight

Postby Chrissi » Apr 30, 2012 16:35

It's just pathetic. You guys are talking about RvR but actually we only have Grp vs Grp / Guild vs Guild.

Nothing else to say thought which such kind of population.

And I really worry about - is DAoC just that death? Is Uthgard the problem? The knowledge of freeshards? Which really shouldnt be.

Anyway. After playin GW2 last weekend I realized that Uthgard's problem isn't caused by adders, 8vs8 or anything (Guard Tasks), it's just the lack of players.

And tbh - those guard quests create a bit of "hot spot" for solo players - camping keeps and so.

Try to see the facts when we had Agramon our 8vs8 grps had (for sure) a problem because of the missing room for their 8vs8 and fair fights, now its a room problem (3 Zones are just too large for our amount of players) and the lack of players.

But anyhow we are waiting since (now 2?) years for RvR improvements - and I give a !!! about this "no instant" and custom and so on arguments.

People log in to have fun, if you don't find someone to fight, or even to kill, you just logout.

So much text, I'm turning into Rone sorry :grin:

Enjoy guard tasks!!! Which is probably the only way to have fun and earn Rps on Uthgard.

Kind regards,
Chrissi

PreviousNext

Return to Realm versus Realm